Sunday, October 5, 2008

Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World


I recently finished reading a book entitled "Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World." It was edited by C. J. Mahaney and had several contributors.

One thing that stuck out to me in this book was the section where Craig Cabaniss talked about media. He gave the verse 1 Corinthians 10:23 "'All things are lawful,' but now all things are helpful. 'All things are lawful," but not all things build up." Then he gave the following quote by Phillip Patterson: "What if we began to test all our media consumption from the nightly news to our entertainment programs to our video rentals? And furthermore, what if the standard was looking for what might be beneficial instead of what might be permissible?" Then he talked about checking out the content of the film before watching it (he gave the website pluggedinonline.com as a "helpful resource to to preview film content from a Christian worldview", another website that I have found helpful in movie reviews is http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/movies/default.asp). Then after we decide whether or not to view, we ask ourselves how we are to view the movie for the glory of God.

Another point in the book that I thought was good was towards the end on how we are to relate to the world. The author of this section, Jeff Purswell, talked about us evangelizing the world. He talked about how we are to be witnesses (Acts 1:8). He then talked about what being a witness means. A witness in court of law is someone who simply gives their testimony. They don't have to be someone who has a degree in law or some sort of PhD, all they have to do is tell people about what has happened. It is the same thing with us. To tell someone about Christ all we need to do is tell them what he has done for us.

Overall this book was really good. I highly recommend everyone to read it.

3 comments:

all for Jesus said...

Cool, I cannot wait until I am done with it!!


Your Sister,
Naomi<><

Charlie said...

That sounds awesome! I can't wait to read it too!

cj said...

Hey Caleb, I tagged at my blog. Come check it out!