Colossians 3:15-17
"And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God . And whatever you do, in word or deed , do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Paul has been talking in this chapter about how we are to live now that we have been raised with Christ (Col. 3:1). I think it is interesting how he says we are to be constantly giving thanks to God. Whatever we do we need to give thanks to God. Even something like washing dishes. We can be thankful to him for the fact that we have dishes and food to put on them to make them dirty. Cleaning around the house is something we can be thankful about because we have a house to clean. The list could go on. One thing I remember when I feel the drudgery of cleaning closing around me is Proverbs 14:4 "Where there are no oxen the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the oxen."
Psalm 30:4
"Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. For his anger is but for a moment and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tary for the night, but joy comes with the morning."
9 comments:
Those are some great thoughts! This part really hit home:
"Cleaning around the house is something we can be thankful about because we have a house to clean."
BTW: I really like your new template!
Well, I try to stay thankful all the time, but lately, I've been wondering if my thankfulness is only like that of the Pharisee's in one of Jesus' parables. I don't have my Bible handy right now, but I recall him saying something like:
"Lord, I thank you that I am not like this poor man over here."
Should I be thankful that I'm not in a country where famine is prevailing, or should I humbly declare that I have nothing except Christ?
Charlie- I think Jesus' point was not that we are not supposed to be thankful for things other people don't have, but to not be self righteous. We can be thankful for his blessings, in fact that is a command (1 Chronicles 16:8, Psalm 17:13, 1 Thessalonians 5:18), and also we are to say that without Christ we are nothing.
What Jesus meant in this parable was a lesson in humility. He closes the parable with these words: "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted." (The last sentence of Luke 18:14) Apart from Christ we are nothing. What another glorious reason to give him thanks! He has saved us and lets us enter into communion with him.
Hopefully that answers your question. If I have misunderstood your question in any way please tell me.
Under Grace,
~Caleb Nathaniel <><
CJ- Thanks. I found the template off of the website that Bryanna told Naomi about.
Cool blog!
Kade
Hey, cool blog! Connor almost got that template, I like it!
Bryanna
Thanks, Caleb, I actually kind of had this question answered by another brother in Christ. I think the final thought is not to think that your blessings came from yourself, but from God,our provider.
Say, have you been to my blog?
Charlie- Yeah, I checked it out.
Post a Comment