
"And he said his disciples, 'Therefore I tell you don't be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing.'" ~Luke 12:22-23
"'Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious about itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.'" ~Mathew 6:34
Last Wednesday I heard that Obama was our next president, I was concerned about our country's future. Later that day at a doctor's appointment, I found out I have some weird heart issues that the doctors gave the impression that I could have a heart attack at any moment (Since then I have found out it's not that serious). The Rebelution posted about not fearing death. On Sunday I heard a sermon about not being anxious. I think God is trying to tell me something...
So, I thought I would share with all of you some thoughts about anxiety. But first, what is anxiety?
Definition of Anxiety-A state of mental uneasiness or concern about some uncertain event.
An illustration of anxiety in a Christian's life that I heard in a sermon described anxiety as something that has hijacked your heart. When we are anxious we are replacing God with something else. God alone should be dominant in our hearts! When we are anxious about something we are putting that something in God's place. We are more concerned about that thing than that God is in control.
Now what do we do when anxiety takes over our hearts like a hijacker? We turn to God. We bow down before him and confess our sin of anxiety. He is faithful to forgive! We can recount his wondrous deeds of forgiving us again and again.
Lord please forgive us when we are anxious. We can't make it on our own. When we are tempted to be anxious show us that you are in control and that you have ordained this moment so that we might grow. We need you to take over our lives and be in your rightful place, forefront in our minds, hearts, and everywhere else. Thank you for all of the times that you have forgiven us! We repeatedly commit this sin again, yet through your grace we can fight this. We continually fall, but you pick us up. You alone have given your life so that we might live with you in heaven.
"The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?" ~Psalm 118:6
SOLI DEO GLORIA!
3 comments:
Great post! It is helpful to remember that God wants the best for your life. In other words, if something in your life was not in God's plan, he wouldn't have put it there! Whatever happens to you is a custom-made plan for your life by God, and an other way would be less than the best.
Wow... your post reminds me of a song by Jon foreman (singer of Switchfoot). On one of his ep albums he did a the Lord's prayer and the second verse is a lot like what you've said. Check it out if you can! It's called "Your Love is Strong".
-Kole
I have never heard that song before but I will definitely try to check it out.
Post a Comment