Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Encouragement to Read

"The man who never reads will never be read. He who never quotes will never be quoted. He who will not use the thoughts of other men's brains, proves that he has no brains of his own... My books are my tools. They also serve as my counsel, my consolation, and my comfort. They are my source of wisdom and the font of my education. They are my friends and my delights. They are my surety, when all else is awry, that I have set my confidence in the substantial things of truth and right."
~Charles Spurgeon

I think it is interesting how we as humans can't live without others. We can't just think of anything that we want, we need other thoughts to supplement ours. Let this be an encouragement to us to read more of the things that are: true, honorable, just, pure, or commendable.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
~Philipians 4:8

"Iron Sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another."
~Proverbs 27:17

5 comments:

cj said...

I love that quote! It's on the back of "The Pursuit" conference T-shirt.

all for Jesus said...

Yes, we need to read books that will encourage us in our daily walk with the Lord. Good job on the post!



Your Sister,
Naomi<><

Caleb Nathaniel said...

CJ- Oh, cool. I actually found this quote in a book called "College Without Compromise." I think Spurgeon is one of my favorite authors.

Charlie said...

Great quote! We can all learn from other's experiences.

a daughter of the king said...

Great post Caleb!
Thank you for your prayers!

your sister in Christ,
Bryanna